We understand that the prospect of having to check each and every part of your Connecticut home before cold weather gets here is a massive chore. In an effort to make it a little easier for you, we are sharing our interior and exterior checklist to prepare your windows, doors, roofing, gutter, and drainage systems. Taking the time to prepare now will save major headaches over the harsher winter months like costly repairs from leaky roofs or gutters. This list will also help to improve the energy efficiency of your home, saving you some money and keeping you and your family safe this winter.
WHAT TO CHECK BEFORE WINTER ARRIVES
There are many parts of your Connecticut home which you should always check before winter. Including lawn, garden and decking, heating, ventilation and air conditioning. However, in this post, we focus on windows, doors, roofing, gutters and drainage. So what should I check with my property before winter sets in?
Doors & Windows
- Replace weather stripping around windows and doors which is leaking
- Swap your screen doors with storm doors where necessary
- Substitute your window screens with storm windows
- Repair areas of rot in wooden window frames
- If your windows are damaged beyond repair, consider complete window replacement
- Caulk around window and door frames if draughts are occurring. This reduces heat loss
- Doors badly damaged will need to be replaced by a door replacement contractor
- Replace any cracked or smashed windows with new glass
Roofing, Gutters & Drainage
- Check the condition of your roof. If it is disintegrating, you may require roofing replacement
- Replace damaged shingles to reduce risk of leaks
- Repair damaged flashing around chimneys, vent pipes, walls and skylights using a caulking gun and roofing cement
- Secure any loose downpipes or gutters to the wall so they don’t completely collapse during winter
- Clear all gutters of debris and make sure all down pipes are at least five feet away from your property to prevent flooding
- Clear storm pool drains of debris to reduce risk of blockage
- Cover vents or open areas so that creatures such as birds cannot nest there during winter
- Make sure the landscaping around your property slopes down from it so that your home doesn’t become flooded
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST CONTRACTOR
Although the prospect of having to check over each and every part of your home before winter may seem like a pain, it is a really important task. If you carefully check the most important parts of your home before winter, it will reduce the chance of having to complete expensive jobs further down the line, such as total roofing replacement. Unless you have expert knowledge of contractors in your area, it may be difficult to find the perfect contractor to complete your work. Thankfully, at Stonybrook Remodeling, we are considered the trustworthy choice, having been in business in Connecticut for over 15 years. We use only the best branded materials from industry giants like CertainTeed, and you’ll be covered by an impressive fifty year warranty on parts and labor. So, if you are looking for a roofing replacement contractor in Connecticut, give us a call or request your free estimate online today.