An essential part of keeping your Connecticut home well maintained and water tight is to keep your roof in good condition. When parts of your roof fail, water can enter your loft space and cause problems such as damp and extensive damage to interior decor which can be expensive and messy to rectify. Thankfully, common roofing issues can be rectified by affordable and quick fixes such as replacement of a missing shingle. However there are times when complete roofing replacement is necessary, especially when your roof is old and beginning to fall apart.
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN MY ROOF IS OVERDUE TO BE REPLACED?
Check for these seven common signs that may indicate roofing replacement is needed:
- Your roof is more than 25 years old. Is your roof over 25 years old? Have additional layers of shingles been added over your existing roof? If you answer yes to either of these, it could be time to consider roofing replacement.
- Shingles on your roof are curling or buckling. When looking at your roof, do you notice disintegrating or buckling shingles in areas that are exposed to lots of sunlight? This is another sign that you may need roofing replacement in the near future.
- Your shingles are damaged or missing along valleys. If you notice this on your roof, act fast. Valleys are important areas of your roof that divert water into downpipes. Any problem here could mean that water is leaking into your roof space.
- Shingles are missing from your roof. Thankfully replacing missing shingles is a cheap way to fix a defective roof. However, if there are a number of shingles missing, this could be a sign that roof replacement is necessary.
- Flashing around your chimney is damaged. Have a look at the flashing around your chimney. Is it cracked or disintegrating? This could indicate repair or replacement is necessary with a water tight metal flashing system which prevents water from entering your roof.
- Debris has collected in your gutters. When looking at the condition of your roof, have you noticed debris which has collected in your gutters? This could be a sign that the shingles on your roof are deteriorating and that your roof might need replacing. Look out for discoloration on your roof, this is another indicator of shingles that are failing.
- Light is entering your loft space. Has a contractor recently been onto your roof and noticed it is bouncy when walked over? This could indicate that moisture has entered the structure under your shingles and made it defective. If your loft insulation is damp, this is another sign that your shingles aren’t protecting against the elements properly.
IF YOU NOTICE THE WARNING SIGNS, ACT SOON
After learning about the seven most common signs that your roof may need replacing, you may have perhaps noticed these in your own roof. If this is the case, now is the time to act, especially as winter is only around the corner. Defective roofs that are left for long periods can cause big issues to other parts of your home such as damp and damage to interior decoration. At this point, you’re probably wondering which Connecticut roofing contractor to choose. Make sure you choose someone who is experienced, uses high quality materials and offers a long term warranty. Stonybrook Remodeling, Connecticut experts in roofing replacement, door replacement and window replacement, are proud to say that we offer all of these things. Our CertainTeed Roofing System includes only the highest quality of materials and is covered by a 50 year guarantee on labor and materials.